July 28, 2010 -
The Accreditation Committee of the College of American Pathologists (CAP) recently awarded accreditation to Olympic Medical Laboratory, based on the results of a recent onsite inspection.
“I am very proud of our department and the excellent service we provide to the community,” says Pathologist Josephine Zuzarte, MD, medical director of Olympic Medical Laboratory.
According to Laboratory Director Steve Blackham, Olympic Medical Center performs approximately 1.4 million tests per year, including approximately 97 percent of physician office lab testing in Port Angeles and Sequim. The laboratory department works to integrate their services with physician offices to help them make quicker and better decisions as they provide care for patients.
Olympic Medical Center offers four convenient laboratory locations. In Port Angeles, services are offered at Olympic Memorial Hospital, (360) 417-7729, and the Olympic Medical Physicians Primary Care Clinic at 433 E. 8th St., (360) 452-3373. The laboratory also provides services in Sequim at 840 N. 5th Ave, Suite 1200, (360) 582-5550 and at the new Jamestown Family Health Clinic located at 808 N. Fifth Ave, (360) 683-5900.
The CAP Laboratory Accreditation Program began in the early 1960s and is recognized by the federal government as being equal to or more stringent than the government’s own inspection program. During the accreditation process, inspectors examine the laboratory’s records and quality control of procedures for the preceding two years. CAP inspectors also examine laboratory staff qualifications, as well as the laboratory’s equipment, facilities, safety program and record, in addition to the overall management of the laboratory. This stringent inspection program is designed to specifically ensure the highest standard of care for all laboratory patients.
Olympic Medical Center (Clallam County Public Hospital District No. 2) is a comprehensive, award-winning health care provider for more than 70,000 residents of Clallam County. It has served the community since its establishment on Nov. 1, 1951, and is governed by a seven-member, publicly elected board. OMC is a sole community hospital and rural referral center. It provides inpatient services at its 80-bed acute-care facility in Port Angeles, including a level-three trauma designated emergency department, surgical services, and labor and delivery. OMC’s outpatient services include cardiac, imaging, physical therapy and rehabilitation, laboratory, sleep medicine, surgical services, home health, physician clinics and comprehensive regional cancer care at locations in Port Angeles and Sequim.